The Flowers of Sagada

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sagada Flowers1,2,3... common now and join me in belting this 80s teenybopper song.

"THE FLOWERS IN SAGADA, ARE JUST ABOUT TO DIE!" hehehe... I think I'm affected by the sub zero temperature that is engulfing the Midwest. To escape, I was going over Attorney Manja's Facebook photo album when I stumbled upon her "Smelling the Flowers" gallery featuring Sagada flowers she photographed over the holidays. It's nostalgic looking at the photos. They bring back a lot of memories from childhood years. Here are some of them, and you may want to help me identify those I couldn't.



Sagada Flowers
Flower 01 - The calla lily.
This flower somehow scared me. It reminded me of death, or the church, or both.


Sagada FlowersFlower 02 - The sunflower. One of my sisters told me that this flower follows the sun when it rises from the east and sets on the west. That's why the name "sun-follower". How true? Never proved it really. I had more important things to do than watching a flower follow the sun, hehehe. What I do remember is our neighbor with the huge sunflowers and we got to taste some of their seeds once harvested. Not so tasty - thought they were bland. And then there's the classmate in Grade 6 who made sunflower-orange juice or something like that for his science project and made it all the way to the Regionals. He blended sunflower LEAVES into the juice. Yum.

Sagada FlowersFlower 03 - The "lantana" - at least that's how we called it. The round green things that grew in its stem were ideal for throwing or shooting at a playmate.

Sagada FlowersFlower 04 - Dandelions in Sagada. When I told Manila acquaintances of dandelions in Sagada, they looked at me like I was crazy. Somehow, lowlander ignorance is amusing.

Sagada FlowersFlower 05 - Bottlebrushes. Saw a lot of these at the U******s.

Sagada FlowersFlower 06 - Don't recall the name of this flower. Something like million flower or billion flower.
As a child, it didn't fool me. I'm sure that were only a few dozen petals at the most.

Sagada FlowersFlower 07 - The Sagada Gumamela. This variety is not common in other places I think. We'd use it to make our own bubbles. The ones in front of the B****s on the way to the elementary school were tasty. You pull the flower, and you suck the sweet liquid in its base. It was more than twice that I got an ant in my mouth just because of the my gumamela-sucking days. Ah, it's still protein.

Sagada FlowersFlower 08 - Poinsettia. The Christmas flower is free in Sagada.
Here, you have to buy it for some dollars at Walmart.

Someone do help me in naming these other flowers.
They all seem familiar, I just don't remember what they are called.



Sagada FlowersFlower 09

Sagada FlowersFlower 10

Sagada FlowersFlower 11

Flower 12

Sagada FlowersFlower 13

11 comments:

Anonymous January 14, 2009 at 11:06 PM  

nyek! ang corny mo, hahaha. but yes, the flowers are nostalgic. there's a missing flower somewhere. will comment back if i remember it.

Anonymous January 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

"Somehow, lowlander ignorance is amusing."

HAHAHAHA! true. true.

ay baken poket na flower 11?

we have flower 13 and 10 in our pantew. never bothered to know their names though. now that you pointed them out, interested na rin ako na malaman names nila.

parang yung flower 5. i know that flower. just didn't know na bottlebrush pala tawag sa kanya.

Anonymous January 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Anonymous 9:57 - There you go. POKET tet-ewa. It looks so nice in the photo, the casual observer wouldn't know its a weed.

Flower 10 resembles a bird, so I think the name has something to do with birds. I think the leaves of Flower 13 are edible.

#5 is really called "bottlebrush" in Sagada. I immediately recognized it. And I think that's the real name as well. See this webpage.

Manja Bayang January 18, 2009 at 2:52 AM  

Flower No.11 is not the Poket. Suany, if you check back on the photos in facebook, the poket is the one with white petals and some yellow in the middle (i think before the lantana). I also don't know the name of Flower No. 11 but it is indeed just a weed for us in Sagada.


Manja

Anonymous January 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM  

"lugam" nan #11.

i-dekkan

Anonymous January 18, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

i-dekkan, hehehe. sino ay klasin di lugam?

Anonymous January 22, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

13 - pongpong

10 - birds of paradise. though di ako confident dito. it is the leaves of the birds of paradise that resembles birds instead of the flowers.

try to include one of the most famous weeds randomly growing in sagada - juts.

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

hello! the flowers are really amazing.... am going to tell something about flower number 9. it is called euphorbia. originally a flower of thailand. i don`t know what year it had been brought in the philippines. but it is not even many years ago it could be more or less five or six.
it had been 1 of the most expensive flower at that time. 1 plant of it costed around hundreds to thousands of pesos depending on the size and the flower.
my sisters peckey, dayoman and my sister in law were very much addicted to this euphorbia because flowers`color changes. when still a bulb its either green or yellow, then becomes pink then red and vice versa. 1 plant has different color of flowers. by cutting u can replant it. in fact 2years ago when my sister day-om had her vacation she tried to bring with her 20 cuttings to try planting them here in switzerland. we had ben able to grow 5 out of those 20. they produce flowers but not as much as they could in the philippines.
my sister peckey had even been motivated to have her garden full of euphorbia. she`s not that person with a green thumb but she have become because of euphorbia.
one more thing, this plant grows more beautiful and its flowers cld bloom bigger and produce more in warm places.
i hope i havn`t done a wrong recognition of that flower... but anyways flowers do great things to us and for us... lets protect them!

Anonymous March 3, 2009 at 12:41 AM  

Hi! so happened I came across ur blog...

ay baken "easter lily" nan flower no. 10? wenno kali tako etkedeng di tay they usually bloom around the church at Easter?

Kusinera June 11, 2009 at 8:38 AM  

Flower #6 looks like a Hydrangea. It comes in different colors, it depends on the soil where it's planted. We have that here in the US east coast and it's one of my favorite. It's very easy to take care of and looks good in vases. You can also dry it out and use in decors.

flower Philippine May 18, 2010 at 1:48 AM  

Pretty flowers! Wish I can also have like that on my garden. Anyway, thanks for sharing this post. I enjoyed browsing this post.

-pia-